The official song of tonight is Caruso by Gavin Friday from his 1995 release Shag Tobacco. The rhythm is just ridiculously infectious, and it’s just a damn good song. I first got to know Gavin Friday back in 1998 when I received the “music from and inspired by Mission: Impossible” album for my birthday (the other one was Top Gun), which included a remixed version of his song “You, Me, and World War Three.” I became obsessed with the song over the summer as I was lamenting lost puppy love. One of the first websites I used streaming media on was Gavin’s official website, where I watched the video for You, Me, and World War Three and got to learn a bit of his background (seems him and the U2 guys are tight; I think that had something to do with his song being on the M:I record, as Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen of U2 performed the Mission: Impossible theme for the movie). He was the first artist I really researched on the Internet, and would certainly not be the last. It was a treat to acquire Shag Tobacco this week — it’s a pretty neat album, kind of out there.
Other notes from this Thursday, now etched into history:
- Regardless of your stance on Anna Nicole Smith, the ultimate tragedy in her death is that her six-month-old daughter is motherless and there’s no telling who the father is. Sick, unfortunate circumstances. It seems a decent-scale investigation is unfolding, too.
- Wade Phillips is the new Cowboys coach. Seems ESPN’s analysts don’t like the move much — but would Norv Turner really have been any better? For that matter, what will Marty Schottenheimer do about his top assistants? Yikes!
- You know, if you leave astronauts up in cramped spaces long enough, things will eventually happen. The Lisa Nowak Affair was probably bound to happen — perhaps not quite with the 36-hour-drives and Pampers involved, but still…talk about a real “anti-gravity love song” (with apologies to Incubus).
- Seems WordPress 2.1 changed things up a bit with regards to displaying blog posts — it no longer permits me to restrict by the number of days to view, but rather show the x number of last posts. The WP 2.1 installer set this number to five, which reflected my previous number of days to allow. I’m not sure I’m too thrilled with this change — what if I blog a bunch later today? Forget catching the last several days’ worth of posts. I’ve always had five days of posts since the old Realm days, so a workaround appears to be in order here.
- I’ve got my eyes set on a Samsung Blackjack, but perhaps I should hold off and see what devices will run on the upcoming Windows Mobile 6? All indications are that this is a fantastic release. Perhaps Samsung will do an upgrade for Blackjack customers…haha. I don’t think firmware upgrades of that magnitude have ever happened before. No time like the present to buck a trend, though. ;) WM6 looks really good, and I just might wait for it.
Tomorrow will be a frantic Friday, I’m sure, but I’m going to try and reestablish a little bit of blogging rhythm and at least squeeze in a post or two tomorrow. If not, happy Friday!