Categories
Weather

The Night Before Hanna

Here’s tonight’s briefing:

We’re down to the wire, folks. Things are looking fairly stable at this point to landfall. The 11PM advisory did not change much at all from the 5PM and 8PM advisories. The track’s pretty much the same (save for the inevitable wobbling tropical systems do as they approach). There’s a chance the wind field may contract a little (see the NHC discussion for more); Hanna’s getting its tropical characteristics a bit more in order. (I’m still shocked it’s not being classified as subtropical, personally…)

The time for speculation is indeed over, though. Now, we wait and see and let Hanna do what she’s going to do.

I’ll start coverage on Charleston Weather at roughly 10:30 to 11:00 tomorrow morning after I catch up on a bit of sleep. Watch this space for blog recaps as conditions deteriorate, and pay close attention to the Charleston Weather Twitter account, as well as my own personal Twitter account. If I should lose power, I’ll still be able to update my Twitter accounts for as long as my BlackBerry has juice. I may charge some backup phones tonight as well, just in case. The chat room is always open for business, and I’ll try to stay in there as long as I can. Tomorrow promises to be interesting.

Categories
Weather

Hanna Briefing: Cautious Optimism in Charleston

Cautious optimism is the word in Charleston; however, preparedness needs to become the word in Wilmington and the Outer Banks. The 5PM track shifted well eastward and now points to a landfall very close to Wilmington as a medium Category 1 hurricane. Despite this shift, Charleston could still see tropical storm force winds and some heavy rain at times on Friday into Saturday morning.

11:00 is about to come out — I’ll have more then. Regardless of Hanna’s track, I’ll do another briefing tomorrow night at 9:15 when more should become clear about what Charleston will face.

Categories
Weather

Tonight’s Hanna briefing

Tonight’s briefing covered the latest on a ragged-looking Hanna, which has been erratic most of the day. I focused a lot on the models and a lot of the variation throughout today; things are still quite uncertain. I’m holding out hope that the 11PM advisory will start to shed some light but that might have to wait for a few more hours.

Hanna’s definitely not moving much, and its satellite presentation is very poor. It looks like it’ll be weakened even further with the next advisory…only time will tell. I’ll have more after 11…

Categories
Shows Weather

Tonight’s Hanna Briefing

Tonight’s briefing started with a recap of Gustav and its impacts in Louisiana. We then moved along to Hanna; the 5PM track continues to take the storm in at the GA/SC border and up the gut of SC, and could potentially bring hurricane force winds to Charleston by Friday. Also, I took a quick look at Ike and yet another area under investigation out in the Atlantic, Invest 99.

I’ll have a full post with the next full advisory at 11PM.