Linode, where I have hosted jaredwsmith.com for many years now, has been under some sort of extremely gnarly and persistent DoS attack since Christmas. This has caused some downtime here as well as at chswx.com. This would also have impacts on weather data ingest on the LDM; fortunately, the server was reachable and relaying products when there was active weather. Sysadmin life is tough; hoping that there is some relief on the horizon for the great people at Linode.
Not sure what happened earlier when I posted my missive about IE 6, but Apache lost its mind and ground to a halt earlier today. A quick look at some vitals indicated that the issue was related to the Twitter API (which points to the Twitter Tools plugin which has archived my last four years of tweets). Interestingly, my disk IO skyrocketed at the same time. Nuts. Anyway, here’s hoping that was just an isolated incident and that I won’t have to troubleshoot this site again for another year and a half because I really don’t have time for that. :)
After what was about a 24-hour downtime, Tumblr staff blog about it. I would have preferred a deeper explanation, though in situations like this it’s best to apologize, as Tumblr staff did for several paragraphs. Few people care about technical details, after all.
Tumblr has been down for 13 hours and counting. Let’s hope Twitter and Foursquare, whose status pages are both Tumblr-hosted, don’t also have problems today. (Also, congratulations to Tumblr — a major outage is a positive sign for growth. ;))
Update: I completed the move last night (as you probably guessed by how much faster the site’s running). You shouldn’t find any breakages but if you do, let me know.
Access to jaredwsmith.com will be intermittent through the weekend as I’m transitioning over to MediaTemple for this and a couple other projects. I’ll discuss the whys of it at a later date (if you follow me on Twitter, you know why). The move will make things a bit hiccupy here as the transition is made, but once it’s done, performance should be a LOT better.
Thanks for reading, as always. :)
A large tree branch decided that I needed a break from reporting weather from my station for a few days, falling on my anemometer during a storm today and taking it out. Worse, the nose is broken off of it. The nose has a weight in it, which keeps the anemometer right on track. It was reasonable to replace, so I went ahead and ordered a new one. Therefore, don’t expect much from my station for the next few days. It’ll be a good chance to do maintenance on that machine anyway. I should be back reporting by next week.
I can’t reach Twitter, and for some reason, I feel utterly lost. Such is the life of attachment to technology…