Unfortunately, for a couple days it looks like none of you were able to get your fix of largely outdated blog posts. I’m not terribly sure why the pool for jaredwsmith.com was trying to allocate a metric crap-ton of memory, but I’ve got it all fixed and running some newer stuff as well, including a rather nice upgrade from Linode (for free!) that will help me do some more interesting number-crunching on weather data.
Not sure what happened earlier when I posted my missive about IE 6, but Apache lost its mind and ground to a halt earlier today. A quick look at some vitals indicated that the issue was related to the Twitter API (which points to the Twitter Tools plugin which has archived my last four years of tweets). Interestingly, my disk IO skyrocketed at the same time. Nuts. Anyway, here’s hoping that was just an isolated incident and that I won’t have to troubleshoot this site again for another year and a half because I really don’t have time for that. :)
I’ve finally started closing out comments and trackbacks automatically to posts over 120 days old that haven’t seen approved activity in a reasonable amount of time. This’ll cut down on how much moderating I have to do. To paraphrase what authorities said when justifying the 2am bar closing, “nothing good happens after 120 days.”
I’ve instructed Twitter Tools to begin doing a daily digest post here of my tweets for the day. Sometimes they can be pretty useful as little mini-blog posts. They’ll show up as asides, and thus won’t clutter the homepage.
Additionally, I’m auditioning the “post tweet when I post a blog” feature of Twitter Tools. I’m not sure if it will last beyond this post, but it doesn’t hurt to try. Not going to post a new tweet with every blog. I think that if people really want to keep up with my blog, that’s what the RSS feed is for. Twitter can be information overload enough as it is…
Thanks to the hard work of Roderick Russell and others in the WordPress community, I’m now able to somewhat reliably crosspost this blog to MySpace, in addition to the crossposting that happens to Facebook, LiveJournal, and Xanga now. I know I have some friends that really dig MySpace, and I’m sure they’ll be glad to know that they cannot escape my reach there now either. :)
Fixing stupidity (finally, the individual post headers for full posts is spaced properly in IE, and you can now once again see the year on each post) and adding new features, like displaying my latest played track from last.fm in addition to my Twitter status, is just so, so satisfying.
I took a minute and got away from writing the site history and gave the weather page a nice overhaul. I’m now linking to my weather blogs from there and bringing in the conditions from my station as Weather Underground feeds them out. Also, if you hover over the “weather” menu item you’ll get the current conditions on each page within the menu. Very cool — that was in the original vision for this redesign. Was nice to get it finally kicked over. I’m going to work on the conditions panel some more over break and get the background image to reflect rain, etc. But for now, it’s pretty cool.
I’ve been working on documenting the history of my Web presence. I’m up to five pages, and have documented the entire run of The Realm up to when I closed it. I’ll finish it this weekend, probably. It’s a pretty cool read if you have seriously nothing to do and are interested in how I evolved in my Web authoring skills.
As you can see, I went through and did a whole bunch of stuff to the site today. More work is forthcoming, too.
The first piece of motivation was to change the header to get that outdated picture out. After doing that, I realized that I had tweaked the PSD that held the layout to alter the shadow angle. Whoops. So, the title was off the rest of the layout. I re-exported the rest of the layout and was like “well, you know, while I’m here, I can fix the horizontal scroll issue at 800×600,” which I did. Then, stuff started just rolling:
- I got rid of Georgia as the primary post text font (it just looked off) and went to a Helvetica/Arial set for post text (Verdana is too wide for my tastes and Tahoma lacks an italic version of the font, making it look TERRRRRIBLE when italicized) and Segoe UI and Lucida Grande for headings for those who have the new round of Microsoft UI fonts (or Macs). Georgia still stays for blockquoted text, though.
- I cleaned up the asides. No incredibly loud 20 pixel-wide left border anymore.
- Note the “Tagulonimbus” tag cloud on the homepage and the bottom of the blog homepage, too. It’s fun.
- My Twitter status is now available under the heading RIGHT NOW on the homepage and blog homepage.
Tweaks are in progress for standard blog posts and their archive pages. I’m still figuring a few things out with those. I think you’ll find, though, that the look is “matured.” I sure think so.