WordPress 3.0 is now live with nary a hiccup on jaredwsmith.com. It was mostly very smooth, though I did have a CSS change to make to my theme (looks like there was a small output tweak to the_category() that broke something — and I could have avoided it had I coded better). I’m also using W3 Total Cache, and while I can report that everything mostly works, I’m having some trouble uploading via FTP to my “CDN” — which, in reality, is just another account on another domain on my shared host. However, everything else is looking pretty good so far. Fingers crossed!
Just rolled WordPress 2.6 out to the site. Things are looking good so far. If you run a WordPress blog, the new features are pretty nice and do well to build on the major improvements in WordPress 2.5. As usual, let me know if you see anything wacky around here in comments. :)
I took a minute and got away from writing the site history and gave the weather page a nice overhaul. I’m now linking to my weather blogs from there and bringing in the conditions from my station as Weather Underground feeds them out. Also, if you hover over the “weather” menu item you’ll get the current conditions on each page within the menu. Very cool — that was in the original vision for this redesign. Was nice to get it finally kicked over. I’m going to work on the conditions panel some more over break and get the background image to reflect rain, etc. But for now, it’s pretty cool.
With any luck, I will able to crosspost to my MySpace account now. This is one I’ve wanted to get going for a while. (Edit: Negative. Foiled again. I hope that MySpace joining OpenSocial will help to make interoperability with other sites possible. Again, this is one of the many reasons why it’s hard to take MySpace seriously as a legitimate social networking platform…)
As you’ve probably seen I’ve made a lot of tweaks to the blog today. I’m in the process of tagging a majority of the posts with Technorati tags to assist my visibility out there. In addition, I’ve tweaked the style sheet up to add additional formatting polish as well as work around some nasty IE bugs. I’ve also boosted compatibility with the latest IE 7 beta (the blog looks quite good on IE 7). I’ve also changed the colors of most of the links so that you can actually find them. :) You’ve probably noticed the “What I’ve been listening to” area down below – this pulls an RSS feed from my Last.fm profile to show the latest tracks I’ve listened to. Quite cool.
These tweaks should be pretty beneficial to making things a little easier around here. Improvements will be incremental, and I hope to continue to improve the blog – and the rest of the site – on a fairly regular basis.