In whatever time there is left, Jared runs @chswx on Twitter. @chswx is the most-followed Charleston-specific weather source in the Lowcountry, and works closely with local media and the National Weather Service to ensure that critical weather information gets disseminated with as little hype and as much substance as possible.
In previous lives, Jared was one half of the technical team at ReadWriteWeb (now known as ReadWrite) and a webmaster at his alma mater, College of Charleston, from where he earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism in 2008.
- Forecasts and Feeds: Avoiding fake news during extreme storms while leveraging Twitter to report the weather. Dustin Waters, Charleston City Paper, September 2017
- Quintin’s Close-Ups: Jared Smith. Quintin Washington, Quintin’s Close-Ups, September 2017
- The People Behind the Handles: Jared Smith. Candice Herriott, Charleston Food Writer, June 2016
- After 30,000 tweets and seven years, the forecast for @chswx shows no sign of letting up. Sam Spence, Charleston City Paper, October 2015
- Meet the Software Developer Responsible for One of the Super Bowl’s Most Memorable Tweets. Rob Pegoraro, Yahoo Tech, February 2015