Jared Smith is a manager of software engineering at BoomTown and runs the Charleston Weather family of products, including the @chswx Twitter account, which is the most-followed source for local weather information in the Charleston metro area.
In 2017, Jared joined the Carolina Weather Group weather podcast as a regular panelist, discussing weather happenings for the Carolinas and beyond.
In previous lives, Jared was one half of the technical team at ReadWriteWeb (now known as ReadWrite) and a webmaster at his alma mater, College of Charleston, from where he earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism in 2008.
- Forecasts and Feeds: Avoiding fake news during extreme storms while leveraging Twitter to report the weather. Dustin Waters, Charleston City Paper, September 2017
- Quintin's Close-Ups: Jared Smith. Quintin Washington, Quintin's Close-Ups, September 2017
- The People Behind the Handles: Jared Smith. Candice Herriott, Charleston Food Writer, June 2016
- After 30,000 tweets and seven years, the forecast for @chswx shows no sign of letting up. Sam Spence, Charleston City Paper, October 2015
- Meet the Software Developer Responsible for One of the Super Bowl's Most Memorable Tweets. Rob Pegoraro, Yahoo Tech, February 2015